Thursday 8 May 2014

The Final Major Project is almost over..

Going to have a short break from this blog to finish my FMP but I will be posting some images of our Degree show when it arrives!

So as I am stopping before the end of my project, I am going to add three more posts -

  • reflect on the work I've done so far. I'm going to use bullet points (try to keep it short and to the point!)
  • What does my future hold?
  • My creative CV


What has been successful?

  • my initial proposal was too busy (wanted to load as much info as possible) but taking on the book alone, I've found I've managed to include a lot of image but from a more unique point of view (timothy's).
  • I also really enjoyed the last book I did so its nice to expand and refine.
  • really struggled with composition to begin with but after chatting to a few tutors, I feel a lot more confident taking risks.
  • I feel my pencil sketches to lino images have been successful
  • Approached each page as it's own image so I feel I have a dynamic set of images.
  • Colour choice
  • lino cutting by colour to ensure proficient timing when in the print room
  • variety of papers printed on.






What hasn't been so successful?

  • my health - cold galore!
  • pages of text - become very repetitive but didn't want to waste time as images the main factors. Would've loved to try the letter press etc. But I have the Summer to do that (I'll explain in the next post)
  • Some images haven't been as clear as I would've liked. The wood has curved uncontrollably (guess that's just part of the process though!
  • Timing has been difficult as it was such a vast subject (didn't know it was at the time I started) Would've been nice to take my time rather than work long days but at the same time I've been enjoying it... So although I'm tired if I'm tired like this all the time because of something i love I'm happy!
  • Although I have made mistakes in some of the text pages, I'm starting to question if perhaps playing with the text could've made it more exciting in quite a simple way. I rather like the small errors to be honest.






Not that I don't like this image, just not sure it's as clear
as it could be.
Some of my less successful images




Recently explained this one...

It looks like she's lying in water... oops!! Didn't think this one through... the problem with two colour prints, is once you've cut the second reduction, there's no re-printing the first!



What I've still got to do for book - 

  • finish printing
  • laser cut pages
  • cut pages
  • make hard back and front cover
  • fold and glue pages together
  • find some floor boards for the show
  • make some music for the show
and I'm sure some other stuff will come up as I go through the process.

So, to sum up how I feel its gone. I have taken on a big task, some images have definitely been more successful then others  - am I tired? Yes. Do I regret my subject? No. If I could go back and choose something with less of a challenge, would I? NO. Although I've stuck to lino I have learned a lot about the process, the different lino tool cutting sizes and I feel have improved.

But the main question...

Have I enjoyed my three years with Southampton Solent BA(Hons) Illustration?

YES.






No comments:

Post a Comment