Saturday 22 February 2014

A Chat with My Tutor

I spoke to Jonny on Thursday and he agreed that I was getting too swamped down by the text and that perhaps I should take it out all together. He liked the images and the mystery that came with them. And explained that perhaps it is better without text as at the time of Timothy Evans, what actually happened at 10 Rillington Place was a mystery and that it would be good for people to try to work out what happened for themselves through my use of imagery. I agreed and suggested perhaps what I should do is re-think the imagery to have one word to explain what it may be about and then at the end have the lyrics of 'The Ballad of Timothy Evans' which explains what happened to the point. I thought this would work well as the Ballad tells the events without all the smaller details while my images can tell all the smaller details that not everyone knows about. This way they compliment each other rather than tell the same story. 

We also talked about how I was struggling with the book layout and he suggested that I forget about it for now, start making the images, and then the book layout can be worked in towards the end. I feel a lot better now and have a new sense of enthusiasm for the project. 

He suggested putting some more symbolism within the images to hint towards Timothy's future. I have to say, I like this challenge!

I also spoke to Pete who said to reduce the title to 'The Misfortune of Timothy Evans'. It's less wordy but still has a mystery behind it.

Time to re-think some images. Can't wait to start lino/wood cutting and printing then seeing the results!

Unfortunately, it may have to wait as I've got self promotion coming up, which we have to create something which advertises our work and send to possible agents/clients. I want to create something to high standard so going to focus mainly on this for the next week. It will put me a week behind schedule but I know if I work hard, I can catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment