Saturday 15 February 2014

The start of Consolidating my Research and Initial Sketches - Timothy Evans Book

The book '10 Rillington Place' arrived through my door just in time for me to start writing the events of Timothy Evans. Its really nicely written. And luckily for me, its very methodically laid out and easy to follow. So I started at page 1. Writing down anything I felt was neccessary. There were bits I was finding out about Christie too, so I went to his section in my sketchbook and updated the research. This was a long process, as everything minute, I was stopping to write in my own words, the events that led to Timothy Evans' hanging.

After gathering all this research, I've began to write the story, in a very basic way. I have written a paragraph of information at the top of every double page spread in my sketch book. The idea being once I have written out the story in my own words, I can go back to the beginning and begin my initial sketches. Some of the paragraphs have a sub-title 'Misfortunate Event no.' (with a number at the end depending which one it is. This is because some of the paragraphs are just about his life in general while others, i believe, are the ones which all lead to the most misfortunate event - his hanging. 

The title of this book is going to be 'The Misfortunate Events of Timothy Evans'. I have created three sketches for the book cover design;

Front page design 1 - No. 10 - where it all
really begins, think this should be an image
within the book rather front cover.


Left : A bit too obvious
Right: Did a quick sketch of Timothy Evans and I really like
it. I've also never attempted a lino cut face and I'm up for
the challenge. Neaten the text up, but this will my my front
image.



















Now to start some initial sketches for each written paragraph, before going on to make a book maquette to decide on composition etc.

Here are the first 14 pages of my book in initial sketches:


















No comments:

Post a Comment