Wednesday 26 February 2014

Real World Beckons, Portfolio Meeting and Self Promotion Starts

It's really hit home how close I am to finishing this course and being thrown into the real World the last couple of days. We had Chris Arrans' workshop 'Real World Beckons' and Portfolio Tutorials on Monday, followed by self promotion brief on Tuesday.

Real World Beckons

The workshop started with a talk on all the business and technical sides of being a freelance illustrator, and thank goodness! Because I had no idea about any of it... I truly was clueless, quite embarrassing really! But I definitely tuned in and took notes, there's a lot of things I'm going to have to learn on the go when I leave Uni. But this talk definitely let me know where to start and what to look out for. 

This talk was followed by him helping us to set up our own website, something that I've been wanting to do for a while, but not been too sure where to start. He showed us some examples of past students to help us get an idea of how we should set ours up. He gave us the website moonfruit.com which is a free website design company. He showed us the basics of how to use it and then we had a go at making our own. It definitely isn't a quick process! I loaded a couple of images and then it was the end of the day. 


This is a screenshot of the 'website design' website and the start of
me putting images in.

I have an idea on how I would like my website to look but I think it's something I am going to have to do in my own time and not rush. I understand how to make one now so feel like it isn't the end of the World if this one waits until I have a bit more time on my hands. But it is exciting to start thinking about branding myself and getting myself out there. It's giving me more motivation now, more than ever.

Portfolio Meeting

I felt really happy and confident about my work after my tutorial with Jonny and Pete. I showed them work from second year and so far this year and they felt that all of it could go in my portfolio. It was a big boost to know that I have accomplished good work on this course and that my tutors have confidence in me.

They talked about how to present the work suggesting ways on how to photograph the work. For instance, for the coasters I designed to show them in a table setting. Or getting someone to hold up a print and me take a photograph. Basically just have a bit of fun with it, while still keeping it professional of course. Again, this has filled me with anticipation for the next stage of this career. 

Self Promotion Starts

At the Self Promotion brief, they showed us examples of different ways to produce a self promotion piece. There were many different possibilities but I already had an idea of what I wanted to do which was a little book of lino cuts, so I used one of their example on how to fold an A3 piece of paper into a little booklet but changed it slightly to make it have more pages rather than a poster on the back. 

I have already got enough lino cuts to fill it out so it's just a matter of combining the single lino cuts together to make scenes/posters, and scanning in the bigger lino cuts to shrink down to size. Then working out where each page needs to go on the A3 sheet of paper and print out double sided. Oh, and of course coming up with my brand/logo to let everyone know who I am and what I do. Hopefully planning to make a business card also but doubt I will get these printed properly in time. Here's a few pages I have already managed to develop:

This is made up of lino cut prints of a ladder and
vines, wheel barrow and sack of soil. I then scanned
the images into photoshop and coloured.
This will be a double page spread, they are 2-colour lino and
wood cut prints from my book 'The sinking of the USS Indianapolis.'
I want to show the single lino cut prints I used
to create bigger combined images within the book.
These are copied straight from the scans, unedited.
Here is a one of the combined print images. I copy
the black and white scanned prints into photoshop
and position them. When I am happy with the layout, I add
colour. This is 1 of 16 versions I did using the images above.

No comments:

Post a Comment