Thursday 24 April 2014

Creating my 'Hullabaloo' image

I started my image by deciding what I wanted to include in my image. I then created a very rough sketch of the layout. After I was happy with the layout, I started penciling the images using my photos as references. Once I was happy with the sketches, I made the final images I was going to scan in using a mixture of fine line drawings and lino cut prints. Here are some photos of the sketches and images I scanned in.

The quick layout sketch
Using the rough layout I decided the size of each seperate image and did a rough sketch. If I felt it would be too difficult to draw actual size, I either made it twice the size or one and a half the size.
More sketches
Last sketch
Using the window as a make shift light box I fine lined the drawing, adding detail and tidying them up as I went.
lino prints, only had a dark purple ink but just scanned them in black and white with a high contrast so I didnt lose any detail.
Lino prints
lino blocks
Once scanned in I coloured each image separately, and then copied it into the final document and slowly built the image up. So here it is...

To colour it, I checked the guidelines on the newspaperclub website, they had swatches you could download to photoshop. They are the colours which work best for newspaper print. It made it quite easy to colour as I only had 20 to choose from.
I'm really happy with the outcome. It's as colourful and busy as I wanted it to be. I have sent it off to my tutors and have asked them to comment if they feel something could be done to improve it. Fingers crossed there's not much! As still have a lot of things to do before the end of my degree!!

No comments:

Post a Comment