Sunday 16 March 2014

Re-Design of Images and Layout

After re-thinking the images, I have found that it will work in book format so I have continued designing it to that scale/layout.


The front page needed cleaning up so I had a look at the WW2 scrap book to help with the layout. 
This is my final front page image. It has the
portrait of Timothy in the blank space with
the text in slanted bands and straight bands
which I feel works better as it gives it more of
a discombobulated effect which fits with the story.
I found an image which had its text in bands
of alternative colours surrounding the image.
I really liked it so applied to my image but felt
the straightness of the bands didn't look right.

 Here are the redesigned pages for my book.

Page 1 and 2 - two pages describing his childhood, he always struggled at school
and at the age of 8 he cut himself on some glass which then became incredibly infected. He was
in and out of hospital for the rest of his youth therefore missed a lot of school causing him to become
illiterate.

Page 3 and 4 - Image on the left is one of my favourite so far, it is describing Timothy as a young adult, it also has broken and hanging toys to have a slight glimpse into his future. The image on the right isn't working, when I look at it alongside the other images, it looks really out of place. Timothy had a problem with lying so it's one of his most known lies, however I need to find a new technique to illustrate his lies.

page 5 and 6 - This is where the story really starts, the couple meet, marry, move into 10 rillington place and have their baby daughter, Geraldine. I think the images on the left are a bit literal so think I will re think this page. I like the left page as the emptying bottle symbolises Geraldine's short life.

Page 7 and 8 - This is another one of my favourite images, my first double page. I think it's really dramatic and holds a lot of tension.

Page 9 and 10 - The left page, Beryl becomes pregnant again but as money, space and the relationship are struggling with just the one baby, Beryl feels it is necessary to have an abortion. I don't think this page works as two separated images, so I think I will re-make it to become one image. I like the image on the right, however the text above it looks out of place. I need to find a way to introduce John Christie as well as showing that he offers Beryl his services.

Page 11 and 12 - On the left, John Christie talks to Timothy about performing the abortion, He has a picture of himself in his police uniform on show and suggests to Timothy that you have experience in abortions by in the police force and that he had been training to be a doctor before the war. I really like this image, and think it shows how intimidating he could be. The bone in the background suggests his experience is actually in murder. On the right, Christie also says there is a 1 in 10 chance of death so Timothy refuses.

Page 13 and 14 - The left page is showing that Beryl refuses no as an answer and tells TImothy he is to give Christie the go-ahead on his way out to work the next day.  The shoe is too literal and I feel the mask could be a lot bigger. The separate images again don't look right so I will re design it to become one image. The image of the right is showing that Christie uses gas to knock his victims unconscious. I really like the image versus text here and I think it gives an eerie feel.

Page 15 and 16 - Page left is showing the death of Beryl, A friend of Beryl's actually interrupted the murder, but found the door unusually locked and no reply when she knocked even though she could hear movement. She assumed Beryl was angry at her and left. I think all the images so far have been very central so I will move this down to a corner, and when re designing other pages, think of using this device again. The image on the right shows that Christie is waiting for Timothy's return preparing to tell him the news, and no doubt thinking up some cover stories. The text here doesn't look quite right to me so I think I will move it around until it fills the page a bit better.

Page 17 and 18 - These are the two main reasons Christie gave for Beryls death and why Timothy shouldn't go to the police. I really like the images but they are not filling up the page properly so I think I will re think the layout for this double page spread.

Page 19 and 20 - Christie persuades Timothy that the best thing to do would be to get rid of the body, and says that he will get rid of it down the drain just outside the front door. We don;t know it yet but Geraldine is also going to be killed like her mother so I have included a baby rattle to suggest this. I think it it is too central so I will play around with the layout a bit but I really like the simple effect of this image.

Page 21 - This is as far as I have got up to so far. Christie convinces Timothy that it would be best to send Geraldine away and says he has a couple who will take here but Christie would look after her till then. Timothy believes him but unfortunately Christie had something else in mind and killed Geraldine the same way as he had her mother.
Before I start lino cutting, I would like to speak to a tutor to make sure I am heading in the right direction and get some advice about the pages I need to redesign.

No comments:

Post a Comment