Saturday 22 March 2014

Tutorials

I've had a couple of tutorials this week, both went well and I have started cutting and printing some images, and have changed a few of the page designs.

Here are the page re-designs.

I've changed the left page (page1) so that we are looking into the corner of the room, it looks further away and more daunting as it would to a child. I may add 'he became illiterate' to the right page as I think it sounds better.
I've changed the right page (page 4), the page of lies into just different sized text, quoting him from the film '10 rillington place'. I like the flow of conversation it gives and I will use this device again later on in the book. 
I've change the left page (page 5) to become an opening door as it is the beginning of the main story and a door is a symbol for secrecy and there are a lot of secrets behind that door. Now I am developing the images, I feel the right page is playing it a bit safe and I would also like to use the dripping bottle later in the book. 
I've changed it to become an empty bottle lying on a corner of a table, I think this gives quite a weird atmosphere and the opening door next to the baby shows where all their troubles begin.
Jonny suggested adding a symbol into the lampshade fabric and as money was one of their main problems, I found the most interesting coin from the 1940s which was the three penny piece and repeated this.
I've redesigned the left page (page 9) so that the bathroom is a lot bigger but I still feel the separated images don't work. I have looked for text to write in the right image and I think I will shrink the chair down so it has more space around it.
The left page now has a quote from Beryl in the film '10 rillington place' written in the shadow of the toilet. The little alcove has Christies murder weapon as this is where he eventually hides the body and a toolbox as at the time of Beryls murder, there were builders working on the house so Christie couldn't move the bodies till they had left. I've now created a staircase leading down to the chair which has quotes from Christie surrounding it.
I've kept the images the same here, except changing the text on Christies portrait to a quote of his 'the stuff, err, that i use, err, 1 in 10 might die from it.' And I have extended the shadow of the dice.
I have changed the left page (page 12) to make the mask bigger with a quote from Christie on the tubing and text disjointed above it quoting Beryl.
Much prefer the text on this page now and I've had the ace of spades symbol in the clock face as this is the symbol for death and thought it fit in well with the image of dice.
I've made this into a double page image now so it has become more interesting. This is now where I am going to have the bottle pouring device which then creates a female face profile with a quote about why Beryl might have blood around her mouth and nose. The Lysol bottle is because Christie claims she died from Septic Poisoning from all the other ways she had tried to abort the baby. The police hat is because Timothy still saw Christie as someone who had influence with the police as he had been in the force.
I have changed the baby rattle so it is a bit more obvious what it is and moved it outside the drain, I have off centred the drain and reduced the text within it. I think this is now a much more powerful image.
I am really happy with how this project is going so far and very excited about seeing the images become prints. My tutors seem happy with my progress and have given me lots of advice so I feel confident to start creating the prints now.

I have chosen five colours to use in the book and created enough ink to last for all my prints. The colours are light blue, cold lilac, ivory white, navy blue and blood red. These will be used in two colour co-ordinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment